Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Week 4: Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving week is finally here and like all holiday times,
we have been really busy...
hence the late post.
But that's not to say we haven't been preparing for Thanksgiving!

Last weeks topic of manners was truly a reflection of how well
I am doing as a parent in teaching manners...
Needless to say I had to REALLY focus and explain
what manners were and how we use them..
not to mention Lily would tell people she was learning about manners
and therefore their expectations were higher...
but overall, the lesson was fun and she LOVED the tea-party.
You can see pics from last week here.

Thanksgiving

Books:


The Thanksgiving bowl by Kroll, Virginia L.

Give thanks to the Lord by Wilson, Karma.

Turkey surprise by Archer, Peggy.

Setting the turkeys free by Nikola-Lisa, W.

Thanksgiving on Plymouth Plantation by Stanley, Diane.

Thanks for Thanksgiving by Markes, Julie.

The Thanksgiving Prayer by Bowman, Crystal


Crafts and Activities:


We did this activity this past week, but it definitely pertains to Thanksgiving and the idea of being Thankful.

Thanksgiving Tree

Here is what we came up with...
Here's how I did it....frugally

2 Paper Bags Cut Open
Freehand a Tree....shocking, I know.

Then you cut it out!
Tape to the wall...
Ask your kids what they are thankful for...
I felt special because I came right after Lily being thankful for pillows and the wall.
I used this leaf template.
I had them laminated for a church project, which I recommend because...
if you use a dry erase marker,
you can use them over again!

Write Thankful Things on Leaf of your choice, and have children tape to wall!
During this project I let Lily practice her cutting skills on a scrap piece of paper bag, and I showed Claire how to Tear to increase her hand-eye coordination....


I also recently started as the Lesson Plans Editor over at craftgossip.com where I posted a ton of craft ideas for Thanksgiving. You might enjoy trying one of those as well.

I love this idea which I hope to do sometime this week, frame it and keep for decoration every Thanksgiving. You can find the tutorial HERE or just click on the picture.


Songs- Source

Fun Finger Play about this holiday's most popular bird:

Mr. Turkey's tail is big and wide

(spread fingers)

He swings it when he walks

(swing hands)

His neck is long

(stretch neck)

His chin is red

(stroke chin)

And he gobbles when he talks

(open and close hands, and gobbles)


_________________________________________

"10 Days of Thanksgiving"

On the first day of Thanksgiving the Natives gave to me... a pumpkin in a pumpkin patch.


On the second day of Thanksgiving the Natives gave to me... Two turkey gobblers, and a pumpkin in a pumpkin patch.


On the third day of Thanksgiving the Natives gave to me... three Native headdresses, two turkey gobblers, and a pumpkin in a pumpkin patch.


On the fourth day of Thanksgiving, the Natives gave to me... four cornucopias, three Native headdresses, two turkey gobblers, and a pumpkin in a pumpkin patch.


On the fifth day of Thanksgiving, the Natives gave to me... five bows and arrows, four cornucopias, three Native headdresses, two turkey gobblers, and a pumpkin in a pumpkin patch.


On the sixth day of Thanksgiving, the Natives gave to me... six pairs of moccasins, five bows and arrows, four cornucopias, three Native headdresses, two turkey gobblers, and a pumpkin in a pumpkin patch.

On the seventh day of Thanksgiving, the Natives gave to me... seven Native teepees, six pairs of moccasins, five bows and arrows, four cornucopias, three Native headdresses, two turkey gobblers, and a pumpkin in a pumpkin patch.

On the eighth day of Thanksgiving, the Natives gave to me... eight woven blankets, seven Native teepees, six pairs of moccasins, five bows and arrows, four cornucopias, three Native headdresses, two turkey gobblers, and a pumpkin in a pumpkin patch.

On the ninth day of Thanksgiving, the Natives gave to me... Nine ears of corn, eight woven blankets, seven Native teepees, six pairs of moccasins, five bows and arrows, four cornucopias, three Native headdresses, two turkey gobblers, and a pumpkin in a pumpkin patch.

On the tenth day of Thanksgiving, the Natives gave to me... ten native tom-toms, nine ears of corn, eight woven blankets, seven Native teepees, six pairs of moccasins, five bows and arrows, four cornucopias, three Native headdresses, two turkey gobblers, and a pumpkin in a pumpkin patch!


Snacks



Click the Picture for the Turkey Sandwich Tutorial






3 comments:

Kate said...

Such great ideas! I love your thankful tree... that is more of what I had intended for our Grateful theme, but I was too lazy. Great job!

Kate said...

PS I can't find a way to email you, so I will just tell you my email address: keander@gmail.com

The Photographer said...

Thanks Kate, Thanksgiving was really hectic, but I'm glad we got in what we did...some of the books were really cute!

Post a Comment