Monday, November 9, 2009

Week 2: Weather


Last week went well. A lot of the books that I put on hold at the library were already taken out, so I will have to start thinking a lot more ahead for these topics.

This week we are having crazy weather here, so I thought it would be a great time to start the topic of ..... WEATHER!

Books: All of these books will be read throughout the week IF I can get them!

W is for Wind by Paulauski, Patrick
Weather ABC : an alphabet book by Hoena, B. A.
How does the sun make weather? by Williams, Judith (Judith A.)
If frogs made weather by Bauer, Marion Dane.
Oh say can you say what's the weather today? by Rabe, Tish.
Rain play by Cotten, Cynthia.
Who likes the rain? by Kaner, Etta.
Danny's first snow by Gore, Leonid.
In the snow by Denslow, Sharon Phillips.
Hello, snow! by Vestergaard, Hope.
The contest between the Sun and the Wind : an Aesop's fable by Forest, Heather.
Whoosh went the wind! by Derby, Sally.
What does the wind say? by Silvano, Wendi J.
How the ladies stopped the wind by McMillan, Bruce.

Craft: Umbrellas and Rain
Cut out construction paper umbrella. Have child glue to paper.

Dye rice blue and glue on top of umbrella like rain.
I used about 1/2 a cup of rice with
3 drops of blue food coloring and 1/4 cup of alcohol.
I let it sit for about 10 minutes then strained the rice.
I told Lily to do lines of glue going down to look like it was "pouring" on the umbrella.

We might also try to make these: Click on the picture to see how...
Songs: Source

Thunder and Lightning

(to the tune of "Pop Goes the Weasel")

When a storm begins in the clouds,
It sometimes may look frightening.
You see a quick electrical spark--
Flash! goes the lightning!

Long and thin and streaky and fast,
Its glow is oh so brightening.
Watch for the electric spark--
Flash! goes the lightning!

When a storm begins in the clouds,
It truly is a wonder.
You hear a rumble loud in the sky--
Clap! goes the thunder!

Lightning bolts are heating the air,
Over clouds and under.
When the air expands enough--
Clap! goes the thunder.


Mr. Sun

Oh Mr. Sun, sun, Mr. golden Sun,
Please shine down on me.
Oh Mr. Sun, sun, Mr. golden Sun,
Hiding behind a tree.
These little children are asking you
To please come out so
We can play with you.
Oh Mr. Sun, sun, Mr. golden Sun,
Please shine down on,
Please shine down on,
Please shine down on me!


Weather Helper Song - to sing every morning and use our weather cards

(To the tune of "Oh My Darlin")

Weather Helper, Weather Helper
What's the weather outside?
Go and look out the window,
Tell us what you see outside.
What's the weather?
What's the weather?
What's the weather tell everyone.
Is it windy? Is it cloudy? Is there rain? or is there sun?

Snacks:

Strawberry Meringues- Source
I'll call them Raspberry Clouds! mmmmmm....

Ingredients

  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • Dash salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
  • 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced- I used raspberries b/c I had it on hand...I thought it would be neat to do blueberries like big rain drops... next time.

Directions

  1. Place egg white in a mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
  2. Drop into four mounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Shape into 4-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake at 225 degrees F for 1-1/2 hours or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Store in an airtight container.
  3. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Just before serving, spoon into meringue shells. Top with strawberries and garnish with mint if desired. ( I put raspberries in the middle of them.)
Our preschool neighbor came over to try some and they really enjoyed "cracking" open the cloud so the "rain raspberries" would come out.

Normally I freak out with Lily in the kitchen, but I would DEFINITELY recommend this baking project with a preschooler! Few ingredients, and very easy.




Extras:
We bought a preschool weather hang up at the dollar store, so we will be hanging that up and trying to learn what the words say. She will have to find the word that corresponds with the day's weather.


This week, I included the website sources in each section.

2 comments:

Jo Whitton said...

Hi Mommy Teacher - I'm your first follower! I love your site - you're doing a great job, I love it! We're studying weather with our little ones at the moment too, so we'll use some of your ideas today. Great job, keep it up!!! :) (P.S. I'll pass your site on to people I know will like it!)

The Photographer said...

Jo, Thanks so much for the encouragement. I love having this information on here because it really holds me accountable to doing it! I would love to hear your thoughts..ie what worked and what didn't in the posts to follow! Thanks so much!
Kristen

Post a Comment