Sunday, November 1, 2009

Week 1- Scarecrows


Welcome to my newest endeavor and documentation blog! Once I have completed the week with Lily, I will then re-post the topic with pictures, and add some comments. Enjoy!

I'd love to have you come along with me on this journey...leave me a comment and let me know what works for you!


Each week...or hopefully each week, I will post a new lesson plan on a simple topic that I will touch upon numerous times throughout the week, tie the subject into other topics, and hopefully use many different forms of learning to expand the knowledge of my child.



This week we will be exploring the topic of Scarecrows.

Books:
The Scarecrow's Hat by Ken Brown
Scarecrow by Cynthia Rylant
The Little Scarecrow Boy by Margaret Wise Brown
The Scarecrow's Dance by Jane Yolen and Bagram Ibatoulline
The Lonely Scarecrow by Tim Preston and Maggie Kneen



Craft: Spaghetti Scarecrow- Create a scarecrow w/ Construction Paper, Glue and Spaghetti!

I cut out a triangle nose, a hat and drew the face on construction paper.
I then had Lily glue the face on, then the spaghetti, the hat and finally the nose....



He got pretty wet...we LOVE glue in this house :)

" Hello Mr. Scarecrow!"

Songs:

The Scarecrow in the Field

Tune : "Wheels on the Bus"

The scarecrow in the field is made of hay, made of hay, made of hay The scarecrow in the field is made of hay, all over town!

The scarecrow in the field he bends and sways, bends and sways, bends and sways.

The scarecrow in the field he bends and sways, all over town.

The scarecrow in the field he says "go away", he says "go away", he says "go away".

The scarecrow in the field he says "go away" to all the birds in town!

Scarecrow
Tune: I'm A Little Teapot

I'm a little scarecrow
Stuffed with hay,
Standing watch in my field all day.
When I see a crow
I like to shout:
"Hey, Mr. Crow, you'd better get out!"

Sn

Snack: Haystacks

1-1/2 cups butterscotch chips

~ 2/3 cup peanut butter

3 oz. chow mein noodles, broken

1. Place butterscotch chips and peanut butter in a microwave-safe container. Heat on 50% power for 1 minute. Stir, and repeat, if necessary, until the chips are melted.

2. Stir in the chow mein noodles, breaking up the noodles as you do so.

3. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper-lined cookie sheets.

4. Refrigerate 1-2 hours until hardened.


Websites:

http://w4.nkcsd.k12.mo.us/~rbeckett/Silly%20Scarecrows.htm

http://delightintheday.blogspot.com/2008/10/in-my-last-post-i-mentioned-that-little.html

http://www.abcteach.com/free/b/bookmarks_scarecrows.pdf

http://abcteach.com/directory/theme_units/scarecrows/

http://www.abcteach.com/free/r/rc_scarecrows_elem.pdf

http://webtech.kennesaw.edu/jcheek3/scarecrows.htm

Note: I get most of my information off of websites which are linked here. I'm just putting it all together in on succinct format and not claiming any of these ideas as my own.

Thanks!

1 comments:

Kate said...

Ok, I love this! I am documenting our Joy School every week on my blog, and I can't wait to read your ideas every week to help me plan my lessons! It's nice to see someone else "homeschooling" their preschooler. Are you doing it with anyone else, or just you and your daughter? I do it with one other mom and her son.

Post a Comment